Back in August, amid moving and other craziness, I got a last-minute invite to talk at Weapons of Mass Creation in Cleveland. It was one of those moments where against better judgment I said YES, and it worked out great. They just posted the video of my talk, so I’m posting it here! (I sound a little like I’m hyperventilating because I was SUPER caffeinated.) It’s kind of based off of my earlier blog post about networking, but with way more Top Model screenshots.
PS: Me and Ann Friedman totally met up and got hot dogs the next day.
PPS: The shine theory should be co-attributed to Aminatou Sow.
It was so fun to hang out with Sister Diane last night and talk about craft business! We probably could’ve talked for hours, but somehow we kept it to 45 minutes. :) Thanks for having me, lady! And if you watched the hangout and would like to get a copy of Crafty Superstar, head over here! Here are the highlights, with links to relevant websites:
- I give shoutouts to Cameron of 1337motif and Esther of Torn Angel
- I wonder if there is such a thing as a Renaissance crafter
- We talk about Regretsy as a mean little David to Etsy’s Goliath
- Indie craft trends, as predicted by CraftsarethenewCrafts.com
- I give props to the Bloomington Handmade Market, Crafty Supermarket and Handmade Arcade, where I’ll be selling my crafts this fall
- I reveal why I love selling at shows so much
- and it just devolves into a total lovefest